Work has been VERY busy, getting ready for a special sitting of conference on Saturday. It's for the election of the new Superintendent. I think I'm having trouble with this because there have been SO many changes in our lives the last two years ...
Paul surgery - Feb 12, 2009
Ryan born!! :) - March, 2009
Realizing Paul's physical, mental, and emotional limitations after surgery
Taking 1 month break from Sr. Pastor at church that turned into 6 months - June, 2009-December 2009
Realizing Paul would not be able to return as Sr. Pastor which had a trickle-down affect on many other things in our lives
Johnny born!! :) - October, 2010
Moved out of parsonage and into temporary housing - January, 2010
Sarah resigned - February, 2010
Purchased property - April, 2010
Purchased home - April, 2010
Sarah & Nathan re-aquainted
Sarah moves to Atlanta - May, 2010
Sarah & Nathan get engaged - July, 2010
MANY Dr appointments, tests, exams - ongoing
Moved into house December 4, 2010!! FINALLY
Nathan & Sarah wedding - Jan, 2011
Michigan reception - March, 2011
At some point in there, Social Security determined that Paul is permanently disabled. This was a good news/bad news deal. We're glad they approved his application. We were told it could take up to two years, and within 6 months, they approved it. The bad news on this is it was kind of a slap in the face for Paul, to know that as things are right now, he won't be able to go back to work...doing the job he has LOVED for over 25 years ... doing the job he felt God directed him towards ... It's the thing he prepared for and has loved doing. Now he's in a state of "what do I do now?"
Back to the list of changes ... Dan, my boss and good friend, will be leaving in July. I think part of what is making it so hard is that he is a good friend. I have enjoyed working for him for 12 years! We have a great working relationship and have no issues. I'll be getting a new boss ... someone I've known for years and feel very comfortable with, but when there's change in personnel, other changes will take place too. I don't know what all that will mean, but things can't stay the same - they are two different people, so there's no way another person could step in and NOT have changes.
Paul spent the day Monday with a very good friend. One of the things the friend told us is that if he hadn't known Paul pre-surgery, he wouldn't know there was an issue. "We can't see the forest for the trees." We see Paul's progress every day and sometimes it feels like he's doing very well ... making 10 steps forward. Other days, it seems like he takes 5 steps back and 1 step forward. There aren't many days when it feels like he didn't make any progress - I'm very thankful for that.
Sometimes I feel like I've lost my best friend in this mess. He's still the same person, but personality wise, there are differences. It took quite awhile for him to get his "gift" of sarcasism back...believe it or not, we were all really glad when it came back. That was one sure sign he was coming back. Sometimes as we talk, I know the thoughts are getting all jumbled up in his head and he can't get them out right. That frustrates him and as he gets frustrated, he starts to have trouble speaking clearly and gets more confused. I try to be patient and let him work it through, but the partner in me wants to help him finish his sentence, so he can stop struggling. I love him with all my heart and it absolutely kills me to see him going through this.
No comments:
Post a Comment